Kirtland Cutter’s 1934 plan for the campus was only partially executed. The English Building is on the left side of the drawing at the top of this page, the middle building. There is a row of buildings that were never executed–these would have been along Carson. The plans called for a Math and Commerce Building in front of the English Building (bottom drawing), a Music and Art Building, a Natural Science Building, and a Chapel next to (and slightly behind) the central Administrative Building . The Chemistry and Physics buildings (in the upper right corner of the original plans, above and in the upper left of the site plans, below) were built but have since been replaced by the D Building.
These 1934 site plans are details from a page that contains the entire campus in order to show drainage patterns. The buildings with the diagonal hashes seem to have been in the planning stages at this time while the buildings with just outlines were in such a preliminary stage that they were never actually built. In the top drawing, the Chemistry and Physics buildings are outlined though the Cafeteria/Student Body Building below them were built first. The administration wing that we know as the front of the A Building was not built until 1951. In the bottom drawing the Library (N Building) was completed shortly after the English Building and half of the Social Sciences building was completed soon after. The Math and Commerce building was never executed, and the site eventually became a parking lot.
This closer view of the plan cuts out the English building although it seems to be part of the plan. It is likely that this is an earlier rendering. The fuller drawing at the top of this page was printed in the 1935 yearbook along with a photo of the nearly completed English Building. There are some design differences in the two drawings. This one (which I am assuming is earlier) does not have a chapel, and it has a more intimate covered entrance off Carson, with a small gate.
In this 1949 photo of the campus, moving from left to right, the English Building is at the far left, the library (N) is above that, one wing of M, the student union building, temporary classroom buildings, Physics, and the Chemistry building.
The 1946 photo of the campus is similar. The 1946 Saga yearbook was the first yearbook since 1942; during World War II the population of Long Beach Junior College decreased dramatically. This is the only yearbook that was published in a paperback, magazine format.
By 1953, the campus had grown dramatically. The front half of the Administration Building was completed in 1951, and the college had expanded both to the north (with the Arts Building, the Theater, the Music Building, and the Home Economics Building) and to the south of Carson with the Women’s and Men’s Gyms.
1962–The campus has now added the library.